2017 Convocation Faculty Research Award Nominations
On Thursday, November 16, 2017, the Tenth Annual GUMC Convocation will bring together Georgetown University Medical Center students, faculty, and staff in a unified celebration recognizing unique and outstanding achievements in research, education, and service. As part of our Convocation, GUMC faculty are invited to nominate a colleague who is actively engaged in research pursuits for special recognition in two categories: the GUMC Leadership in Research Award and the GUMC Research Recognition Award. The selection criteria for each award are listed below; to nominate a research faculty colleague, please fill out the online nomination form.
Please nominate only one GUMC faculty member per award. Self-nomination is allowed. Submissions must be received by Friday, October 27, 2017, at 5:00 p.m.
GUMC Leadership in Research Award
The GUMC Leadership in Research Award will be given for nationally-recognized achievement in research. Examples of criteria for this award are as follows:
- Leadership of a large, collaborative interactive team science grant (e.g. NIH P-series, multi-center, high-impact clinical trial, resident/fellow training).
- Induction into prestigious academic society (e.g. National Academy of Sciences (NAS), Institute of Medicine (IOM)).
GUMC Research Recognition Award
The GUMC Research Recognition Award honors research achievement at Georgetown University. Examples of criteria for this award include the following:
- Receipt of first R01 or other first major independent grant (e.g., NSF, DoD, ACS, AHA) from the prior academic year (2016-2017).
- Superior scholarship as evidenced by recent publications in prestigious journals and a consistent record of highly cited, influential publications.
- Editorial board membership of a well-recognized peer-reviewed journal; external peer recognition of scholarly accomplishment (e.g. best paper, best poster); elected or named to leadership within an academic society.
Examples of additional supporting criteria include:
- Attainment of “fellow” status or equivalent in an academic society;
- NIH Study section membership/chairmanship;
- NIH DSMB or Scientific Advisory Committee membership/chairmanship.
Information about previous awardees (new window) can be found on the GUMC website.
For further information regarding these awards, please contact Jennifer Kluge, Chief of Staff to the Dean for Research at firstname.lastname@example.org (new window). General questions regarding the Convocation activities should be directed to the GUMC Office of Communications at email@example.com (new window).
We thank you in advance for your nominations and look forward to honoring our colleagues on November 16th.